Five Things Friday: Tips to Lessen Stress and Anxiety
Tips to Lessen Stress and Anxiety with Breast Cancer
- Surround yourself with positive people. Now is the time to remove “toxic” people from your life.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Sleep well, eat well, and exercise, even when you don’t feel like it. Go for a walk, do some stretches, or go for a bike ride.
- Ask your doctor about trying a complementary therapy like acupuncture or yoga.
- Write your thoughts and feelings in a notebook or online journal. Send it to people who want to know how you’re doing so you don’t have to say the same things over and over again
- Take an art class or adult education class to absorb yourself in something unrelated to breast cancer.
- Keep a schedule: either your regular one or a new one. Keep up with your normal activities as much as possible.
- Wear clothes and makeup that make you feel comfortable and good about yourself. You will feel better, and people may compliment you.
- Get professional help if you want it. See a family therapist with you children; see a social worker, counselor, or psychotherapist.
- Volunteer for a breast cancer organization or another nonprofit group unrelated to cancer.
- Find and talk with others who have had breast cancer, either through friends, your hospital, or resources like LBBC’s Breast Cancer Helpline ((888) 753-5222 or at lbbc.org/helpline).
We would like to thank Living Beyond Breast Cancer for sharing this important information.