Protecting Patient Rights
10 Steps to Protecting the Legal Rights of a Cancer Patient
- Read your health insurance policy carefully.
- Determine if the treatment prescribed by your physician is covered by your policy.
- Find out about the appeals process under your policy.
- Consult with an expert who is knowledgeable about health insurance law.
- Plead your case in person to your insurance carrier.
- Personalize your written case with your insurance company.
- Obtain copies of your medical records.
- Document everything.
- Ask your physician to advocate for your treatment.
- Be prepared to fight.