Why is the LGBTQ+ community at a higher risk of breast cancer?
In the lesbian population there are increased risk factors for breast and gynecologic cancers. These factors are related to fewer pregnancies, less total months pregnant, fewer children, fewer total months of breastfeeding, higher body mass indices, exercise fewer times per week, and fewer performed breast self‐examinations. (Quinn GP, Sanchez JA, Sutton SK, Vadaparampil ST, Nguyen GT, Green BL, et al. Cancer and Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/transsexual, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) populations. CA Cancer J Clin 2015;65:384‐400.)
For transgender individuals, an increased risk for breast cancer was identified in transgender women (male to female) and a reduced risk in transgender men (female to male). The risk in transgender women was associated with hormone treatment during their transition. (de Blok CJM, Wiepjes CM, Nota NM, van Engelen K, Adank MA, Dreijerink KMA, et al. Breast cancer risk in transgender people receiving hormone treatment: Nationwide cohort study in the Netherlands. BMJ 2019;365:l1652.)
If you have questions or want information related to breast health, please contact us at info @ albieaware.org or call 916-927-1592.
How Albie Aware is taking action:
From August 2022-June 2023, Albie Aware is launching a pilot program for breast cancer screenings & awareness for LGBTQ+ community in the greater Sacramento area.
- To increase breast cancer screenings among LGBTQ+ people in the greater Sacramento area.
- To increase breast cancer awareness in the LGBTQ+ community.
- To deliver LGBTQ+ affirming care and communications in awareness campaigns, virtual and in-person events.
- To increase breast cancer awareness information shared on social media by at least three LGBTQ+ partners.
- To increase awareness and engagement with healthcare providers who provide breast cancer screenings and treatments with the LGBTQ+ community.
- Three mobile mammogram events with a minimum of 30 participants per event
- Host a virtual awareness event for the LGBTQ+ community in October during Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- To have 100% participation in a LGBTQ+ focused cultural competency training by all community partners and volunteers on site at mammogram events
If you would like to support this program or you would like more information, please contact us at info (@) albieaware.org or call 916-927-1592.